Tuesday, April 20, 2010

To the Cougar They Say is in These Woods

Big cat cougar woman
I know I shouldn't personify you
but that's what we humans do
feeble ego minded as we are
finding ease in connecting to you
as if you were one of us
rather than admit we are
animals too

as animals we should do
as animals do
freeze defend ourselves or run
but instead some of us would
rather stare and admire your tawny coat
matted with rain scruff bristled with rage
masking fear
are your children near?
briar on your hindlegs
hunched on your haunches
ready to leap
flaring your speckled nose
for a better smell of me

Do I smell anything like the scent of rain on hot rocks?

Cougaress staring me down with your
eyes of yellow gloss
assessing this stand off
can I take her on?

Nature is all you need
instincts
for guidance

Me stupid human wires all mixed
I do not even trust my own instincts
do I freeze or run or make a loud noise
or try to climb up a tree
(the last choice is obvious, I'd never make it up)

In the meantime I am paralyzed
mesmerized by your raw
grace taut muscles rippling
pale muzzle twitching
soft ears back
the way the forest light
rises and falls in your eyes

I am entranced by your beauty
cat goddess
and wonder
are you by mine?
will you go back to your lair
in some dark damp nook on
a raised pile of brush
somewhere not too far from here
and dream tonight of me in a way
that is also like a poem

(written at Soapstone retreat, Nehalem, Oregon)

No comments:

Post a Comment