Wednesday, April 21, 2010

According to the Spirit



who spoke with me
while at this desk
in these woods
birch trees bending
creekward:

Don't let your dreams control
your sense of peace
and satisfaction

the s word is not a bad word

don't let them control you
a fishing line taut
dragging you through
your mouth
a steel hook through
choppy waters
you helpless fingerless
to remove the barb

Dreams should instead be
a gentle horse to ride
to love and trust
help you on your journey
to places intended and unintended

2 comments:

  1. Oh my thank you for that! I surfed over here from 80,000 words since I'm always for supporting my yellow sistahs, and I instantly liked your blog's subtitle. (My family is made of longtime NYers who moved to Jersey in my adulthood and now I have much love for the tax-free-shopping state.)

    I usually HATE poetry with the passion of my former emo teenage heart who used to write it - so it was such a nice surprise to read this MAGNIFICENT work! I definitely needed the message now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Just saw your message. Thank you SO much! I am glad this resonated with you. It means so much to me. I hope this will encourage you to tap back into that emo teenage heart. We need her. :) And yes, we heart Jersey! -- from Sharline

      Delete