Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The lowdown on the One-Hour Story


So it finally happened. I've started a blog. Because there are not enough blogs in the world.

I'll try not to bore you with too much mundane drivel. That's what Facebook is for.

Mainly, I created this blog because people (two - Canada and Ana) started demanding (asking) that I share with them these one-hour stories I've been talking about. (Yes, I have a friend named Canada, and I now live in Canada. )

What's a One-Hour Story?
Pretty obvious: a short story that was written in an hour.

The idea came from my friend Nadia. We're in a writing group for writers of color I started this year. We call ourselves the Melodious Babblers (it's the name of a real bird in the Philippines.)

Nadia introduced us to this book, 20 Master Plots by Ronald Tobias. It's a shit book, terribly written, but a good tool.

She proposed that we all write one story per week based on each plot, so in 20 weeks we'll have 20 stories. The catch is you only have one hour. As soon as the hour is up, you have to put down your pen, take your fingers off the keyboard. No editing allowed except for fixing typos.

You're allowed to pre-think the story as much as you want, which I've found to be crucial. We text each other when we start, and again when we finish. But yeah, it's pretty much on your honor.

So these stories are here, not so much to be read as final versions, but to show what I came up with in an hour. Most of them I'm interested in working on more, so please, any and all feedback, suggestions welcome.

If you want me to email you a story as a Word document, just email me at sharlinechiang (at) yahoo.com and I'll send it to you. I personally hate reading things online and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment